- Get a kick out of climbing the highest summit in the High Atlas Mountains of Morocco.
- Mount Toubkal – 4.167m./13.671 ft. or as the Arabic say Jebel Toubkal. For the Berber people living for ages in the lower valleys it is Adrar-n-Oudarn: mountains of the mountains.
- It is the highest peak of North Africa and deserves respect in every way. The walk to the summit is rewarding and a little challenging.
- After this challenge there is a full day of relax and learn more from Berber culture in a small guesthouse “chez les habitants”
- This 10 day trip includes 3 nights in Marrakech in a nice Riad hotel close to famous square Jemaa el Fna and airport transfers.
Good to Know
- You can make it to the summit if you like walking. Just do it slowly, step by step.
- Luggage is transported on mules. A local guide is walking with you. A cook is preparing nice picnics on the road
Day 1: Arrival at Marrakech.
Transfer your nice Riad/hotel nearby the famous square Jemaa el Fna. el Fna.
Day 2: Transfer to the mountains (ca. 1h30) to start your trekking.
Your driver will pick you up at your hotel. In the tiny ski resort of Oukaïmeden (2600m.) the mules and mule men are waiting for you to carry your luggage. The first day the path is mainly going down through the beautiful valley of Oussertek, passing by small and isolated Berber villages. You end up in the cozy village of Imsker. On the Toubkal – Orientation map written as Imska.
- Walking 4 – 5 hrs.
- Overnight stay: (very simple) Berber guesthouse. Imsker / Imska Alt. 1600m. / 5249 ft.
Day 3: Trekking Imsker (1600m.) – Tizi Oussem (1850m.)
First there is the small pass Tizi El Bour with a nice view over the valley of Mizane. After crossing the Mizane mountain river it’s going up and up towards the pass Tizi-n-Tacht (2.000m). Here you have a splendid view on the valley of Ouïssaden – pronounced as Azaden. Then there is a small descent, followed by a long but easy walk up to the remote village of Tizi Oussem (1850m.).
- Walking ca. 5,5 hrs.
- Overnight stay: Berber guesthouse. Tizi Oussem Alt. 1850m. / 6070 ft.
Day 4: Trekking Tizi Oussem (1850m) – Douar Mezzik (1780m.) Over the pass Tizi Mezzik (2390m.).
Optional in the morning walk to cascades of Irhoulidine. In the afternoon you will have the opportunity to explore the small villages around (Targa Imoula, Tagadirt, Acheim, Imlil) or have a good relax in the local ‘hammam’ (Moroccan bathing house).
- Walking ca. 4,5 hrs.
- Overnight stay: Berber guesthouse
(with a view). Imlil / Douar Mezzik Alt. 1850 m. / 5840 ft
Day 5 : Trekking Douar Mezzik (1750m) – refuge du Toubkal (3200m.)
Today it’s only going up. The path is clear and easy walking. You pass by the pilgrimage spot of Sidi Chamarouch. And then finally you will see the mountain hut.
- Walking about 5 hours.
- Overnight stay: Neltner mountain hut ‘Toubkal’ Alt. 3200m./ 10.499 ft .
Day 6: Refuge du Toubkal (3200m.) to the summit (4.167m. / 13.671 ft)
Today is the day. You will start very early in the morning (< 06h00) as this makes the chance for great views the best. In the beginning the path is steep. Later on, it’s getting easier but then you will feel the altitude. Breath taking. Sometimes causing some headache or nausea. You can take some ‘paracetamol’ with you. And the most important advice: just walk slowly. It is the best way to acclimatize. Walking up to the summit takes about 4 hours. Going down to the hut ca. 2,5 hrs.
- Walking ca. 6,5 hrs.
- Overnight stay: Neltner mountain hut ‘Toubkal’ Alt. 3200m./ 10.499 ft.
- For walkers with an ‘easy way of going downhill’ there is the possibility going down to Douar Mezzik (1850m). Total walking ca. 8 to 10 hours!
Day 7: A relaxing decent
A relaxing day of walking after you summitted Toubkal yesterday. Descent to the Berber village of Mezzik, just close to Imlil. You can enjoy the nice path which is easy and going mainly down. Half way the delicous picnic lunch is waiting for you. And your fresh brewed mint tea. Take your time.
In the afternoon you arrive in the tiny village of Mezzik where we will spent the last night ‘chez les habitants’.
- Walking ca. 5,5 hrs.
- Overnight stay: Mezzik ‘chez les habitants
Day 8 : Transfer to Marrakech
In the morning we enjoy the village life and our last mountain breakfast. Then we go back to the buzzling city of Marrakech. Here we stay in a nice small Riad hotel in the Marrakech Medina. In the evening we will enjoy the gathering on Jeema el Fna with all the artists and food stalls in the evening.
Day 9: Explore Marrakech
Today you have time to visit the magical and imperial city of Marrakech. After breakfast i will take you to exploring Marrakech « the red city of Morocco ». I will ensure that you see the most important places of historical cultural interest, including the Koutoubia Tower, the bahia palace. After lunch at the restaurant near the square « Djemaa el Fna », you will walk through the souks and discover hundreds of handicrafts …. And make the most of your final night with your tour teader, in the highlight of Red city, the main squre Jamaa El Fna for dinner and entertaining
Day 10: Transfer to the Airport
Depending on the time of your flight you still have time to visit the magical and imperial city of Marrakech before we bring you back to the airport in about 20 minutes. We take care that you arrive at the airport for your check-in just 2 hours before your flight departure.